Yesterday was one million degrees, and also Val’s day off, so we decided to head to the beach. I asked her if she wanted easy to get to but obnoxious, or hard to get to and less obnoxious, and she didn’t care so we went with easy to get to.
I met her at Burrard station, and she discovered this weird parking meter that is not a parking meter at all but actually a donation meter. This explains why it was not near a street at all.
We went to Kits beach and it was really not that awful because we walked far down to where most people are too lazy to walk to.
Valerie has a cute bathing suit from the internet and mostly I am just scary but it was too hot and I didn’t care. We swam in the ocean and it was delightful until someone’s chocolate lab showed up and left a chocolate surprise in the ocean when their owner wasn’t watching. By the way: if you’re going to let your dog off it’s leash at a NON-off leash park, you should probably watch it pretty carefully. And yes I know everything pees and poos in the ocean but I don’t want to watch it happen while I am actually in the ocean.
Otherwise it was a pretty successful beach adventure, except I reapplied sunblock three times and still burned my back.
The ice cream truck showed up and we talked about ice cream bear and got some. The guy lied to me and told me this was lemon flavour. I thought yellow would mean lemon but it was actually fruit punch, which, let’s be honest is just artificial flavour either way and basically tastes the same.
Some crows yelled at us and I asked them not to poo on us as we walked down the sidewalked and lamented the fact that we will never be rich enough to have a house by the beach.
This car made me giggle.
This truck made me jealous.
This sign/vehicle combo made me laugh.
And this little piggy walked all the way home along the blackberry bushes to check to make sure they are almost ready. Good news! Free berries are the best kind of berries.
Ok it is too hot and I feel crabby about blogging right now but I’m going to do it because I said I would. This week is all about stuff made from wood. I grew up with wood paneling in basically every room and I sort of hated it and longed for white walls, but now I think I’ve accepted my roots and I really miss the look. Here are some woodsy things I have been coveting for a while.
1. This iPhone case, even though I don’t have an iPhone and likely will not for a while.
3. This vintage hair comb. There was a different one I wanted but the seller isn’t active anymore, but this one is pretty sweet because it is a bird.
4. This beautiful drop spindle. I already have one but it is mega boring compared to this one.
5. Majestic zebra wood plugs for my ear holes. I will get some one day, probably when I achieve a level of ear that I am happy with.
6. I realize I am putting a lot of jewelery and it is weird because I don’t actually wear much, but that is because I like really expensive things maybe. I’ve seen a few wood circle necklaces but I don’t like when they have a cord instead of an actual chain. I dunno guys I am just not that much of a hippy I guess. This one I like cause it has a silver chain.
7. Yes fine I already have a Takamine that I never play but that is only because I am terrible at it and I get bored easily. But the whole point of this exercise is to pretend I have unlimited dollars. I really love the look of koa guitars. Oh and also quilted maple. Mine is pretty, too, but it doesn’t have the same beautiful grain as this one.
8. Thesecustom wooden rings, that have inlaid sterling silver braille dots. I like the dark one the best.
9. A natural edge maple cutting board. There are some other really nice ones sold at the Granville Island Market, but those people are not with the times and do not have a website. We have a really dodgy black plastic Ikea cutting board. It works ok but it would be nice to have a good one.
10. A really majestic tree house. Maybe not exactly this one, but something similar. I want something that has a lot of tree, and also a curved staircase. Magic. Pure magic.
Maine says: I don’t have to start wearing purple, my leg is purple.
Someone forgot to wear the sunscreen on Saturday when he went to a family BBQ. I was supposed to go also, but then I found out about a career fair and I went to that instead.
Sunday was market day. The drive is so fantastic, really beautiful. Sometimes I get frustrated with BC, what with the lack of decent paying jobs, the ridiculously low minimum wage, the HST, the astronomical cost of living. Then I go outside and I’m like “Yep. It costs more to live here cause it is AWESOME.”
Rebecca made a custom hat for a little girl. She had to change it three times or so, but in the end they were very happy with it.
Unfortunately the little one was a bit shy, so this is the best shot I got. Ah well. I also feel awkward about taking pictures of people’s kids because some people are weird about it.
Rebecca also made some yoga pants that were quickly snatched up. This is one of the other vendors who is usually near us, she is pretty awesome. I am a terrible person and can’t remember her name but I think it might be Renee? I can only remember a few names, like the glass guy Patrick, and that is quite possibly only because of his majestic beard.
We had wicked awesome bison hot dogs for lunch. They had brie and cranberry sauce and balsamic vinegar onions, I dunno something like that. My only complaint was the brie wasn’t brie-y enough for me but really it’s more about the bison anyway.